Over the past few years, Brimscombe and Thrupp have proved to be one of Corsham’s most demanding tests, with the last game being a five-goal thriller and Corshams last defeat in a league game. The hosts had also won their first game of this season, a responding 5-1 win over Wantage.

The sun was out in South Gloucester, the opposition included two former Quarrymen in Ollie Pitt and George Peare who played for us last season and Corsham had to do without 6-7 starters due to suspension or injury. To make matters worse Matt Swan picked up a knock in the warm-up and was replaced by Alex Hallett in the starting lineup.

The game started at a frantic pace and straight from the off a Brimscombe player pushed Alfie Presley into a nasty collision with the perimeter fencing, seeing him receive treatment to his arm but thankfully he was able to carry on.

The first 15 minutes saw both sides creating half chances and new signing Shaq nearly got on the end a good cross from Presley. Jaspers Jones picked up an early booking for a handball on the edge of the box but the resulting free kick from the home side came to nothing.

Corsham where in the ascendance with some great free-flowing football between the front three and they started threatening on both flanks and with a succession of long throws from Rusby. Finally, the visitors took the lead as another Rusby’s long throw caused chaos in the box and the defender flicked it past his own keeper.

The goal sparked a good response from Brimscombe and Alfie had to be on his toes in goal making a fine save from the opposition No. 10. The half looked like petering out until poor defending let the home side in down the left side. The cross found the feet of Corsham’s old boy Peare who turned and fired just over the bar. Then a few minutes later more disastrous defending saw Keetsy slipping and allowing Peare a free run on goal scoring confidently off the post. 

So a scrappy half ended with the home side deservedly drawing level just before the break. 

The second half started with few chances at either end, but as the half wore on Corsham started to take control and a fine effort from Kane Simpson flew narrowly over the home crossbar. ·

Dan Demkiv replaced Alfie Prestly and started terrorising the home defence and Kane had another great chance cutting inside the defender but his shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Corsham where really applying the pressure and there was some desperate defending from Brimscombe. Rusby’s long throw was causing more problems and two efforts were blocked on the line.

Brimscobe where still looking dangerous on the counter-attack and when Corsham switched off at the back again they almost paid the price as a Brimscombe midfielder headed narrowly wide from a good cross. With time running out for a winner a great block denied a certain goal as Kane Simpson got clear again.

With four minutes to go, it looked like Corsham had sealed a valuable win when a Demkiv corner was finished well from skipper Rusby. But with 6 minutes of injury time gone a ball into the Corsham box saw load appeals for handball from the Brimscombe players, initially waved away by the referee, the linesman was very happy to get involved and a penalty was given, which saw ex-red Olie Pitt salvage a point for the hosts.

Full time and it finishes 2-2, probably a fair result on the balance of play, but felt like a defeat for many of the travelling fans.